September 28, 2008

My 'religion?'

Master Sha has always taught that he is not teaching religion. However, as his student and one of his certified master teachers, I realize that we share a deep and abiding belief in a highest spiritual entity. Call it the Divine, God, the universe, Emptiness, Nothingness, the Tao, Allah, the Source, Supreme Consciousness - whatever. In my view, these are simply different names for the same entity. "Religion" has become a somewhat loaded word. Too often, it has signified throughout history and to this day sectarianism, factionalism, rigid sets of organized structures, tightly held creeds, persecution and war. For this reason, many people identify themselves as "spiritual" but not "religious." I would like to rehabilitate and reclaim the word "religion." Its Latin origin is rooted in "moral rightness, obligation and worship." A religion is simply a belief system that addresses the soul or spirit and a higher entity. In these neutral terms, I realize that I do have a religion. My religion is unconditional love, unconditional forgiveness, unconditional universal service (the title of this blog) and total GOLD (gratitude, obedience, loyalty and devotion) to the Divine. My spiritual practice is my religious practice. My life is my spiritual practice.

No comments: